Washington University of St. Louis Assistant Director, Planning & Analysis - Washington University IT - 50670 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Information Technology. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The work is normally performed in the offices located across campus. There will be activities that require trips to many University offices and offsite locations.
The purpose of the Assistant Director of Planning & Analysis position is to develop and manage the pool Project Managers executing strategic projects and other critical initiatives within Enterprise Applications for the institution. Ensures the appropriate use of business analyst and project management processes, methodologies, tools and metrics by PMs to deliver the anticipated value of University investments as well as:
- Executing strategies for identifying, documenting, and analyzing business processes.
- Executing strategies for efficient and effective project management.
- Creating, enhancing and maintaining processes that improve the organizational effectiveness of project execution.
- Employee development and performance management activities – including employee career planning, training, recognition and performance reviews.
- Working closely with other IT and business teams to identify and plan for resources needed to accomplish planned initiatives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead/Manage pool of Project Managers executing initiatives within Enterprise Application:
- Hire, onboard, develop and manage business analysts and project managers.
- Coach staff in appropriate use of methodologies for business analysts and project managers within WashU IT and Enterprise Applications.
- Establish and communicate performance expectations, monitor progress, and provide formal and informal feedback both consistently and regularly.
- Act as a key contributor in the resource management process for all engagements, including forecasting and assignments.
- Direct activities and work of staff.
- Take leadership role in resource selection process, and on-boarding new resources.
- Align Project Manager resources to ensure appropriate staffing levels, skills, and performance.
- Participate in strategic and tactical planning of resource activities to ensure priority initiatives are accomplished in line with department goals and expectations.
- Resolve staffing issues, conflicts, and performance shortfalls to minimize impact on departmental schedules and commitments.
- Inspire the team through a positive and enthusiastic attitude, commitment to success, and personal and professional accountability.
- Work Intake/Resource Need Forecasting:
- Perform timely work intake including: requests definition, governance (approval by appropriate decision makers and identification of funding source), staffing needs assessment, priority in relation to ongoing work and other requests and work schedule.
- Work closely with leadership to perform resource planning and workload management of staff.
- Participate in and lead various organizational initiatives, including:
- Process and methodology development and improvement.
- Team building exercise creation and participation.
- Review and monitor the effectiveness of the team.
- Lead and implement continuous improvement plans for team members.
- Compile resource feedback, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, plus six years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with business information systems at a management level.
- Education or experience in business.
- Experience in ITIL framework and IT product methodologies.
- Familiarity with testing techniques and software.
- Prior experience in higher education environments is a plus.
- Team Skills: Supports teammates at all times and in any way necessary to maintain a productive, energetic, efficient and dynamic WashU IT team. Communicates effectively and frequently both verbally and in writing with other members of the team. Collaborates with other teammates to provide assistance, and expertise, as well as to receive expert input and assistance from others delivering the best solution and experience for the customer.
- Customer Service: Possess an aptitude for patience, professionalism, tactfulness and empathy. Enthusiastic and committed to helping others and exhibit the ability to quickly assess the specific needs of the customer to determine an appropriate course of action. Ability to quickly defuse stressful or anxious situations.
- Business acumen coupled with technical knowledge.
- Experience working on technology and application development projects, including developing technical requirements.
- Strong listening skills.
- Strong research skills with attention to detail.
- Experience developing functional and non-functional requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including technical writing skills; consultative approach.
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts.
- Ability to conduct cost/benefit analysis and business case development.
- Recognized within the organization as demonstrating expertise in business analysis methods and modeling techniques.
- Experience working closely with team members during solution development and product launch.
- Experience developing use cases.
- Experience creating project plans and resource requirements.
- Experience developing risk/issue logs and associated mitigation plans.
- Experience providing project status to high level leadership.
- Experience developing data and process flows.
- Ability to work independently and proactively.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and independent problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated successful performance with, giving presentations to both small and large audiences, and coordinating and completing multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines.
- Ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a leading member of a highly functioning and productive team.
- Demonstrated understanding of client relationship management, process mapping and improvement, project management, and production support.
The hiring range for this position is $90,688 - $120,141 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Assistant Director, Planning & Analysis - Washington University IT - 50670
Job ID: 50670
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time