Washington University of St. Louis Clinical Lab Assistant II - Siteman Cancer Center - 50671 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is for the Siteman Cancer Center. The position is located at the Institute of Health. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Siteman Cancer Center is seeking an organized and motivated individual to join the Sample Processing Group within the Tissue Procurement Core (TPC) shared research laboratory. This position is responsible for a broad range of laboratory tasks needed to support cancer and other biomedical research studies. Duties include human tissue and blood biospecimen processing, basic laboratory equipment use and maintenance, and support of general quality control functions needed for laboratory operations. A successful candidate will have strong clerical accuracy, exceptional organization and time-management skills, a solid understanding of basic computer applications, experience working in a laboratory environment and should be motivated to join a fast-paced laboratory environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Human biospecimen (tissue/blood) processing and storage following Standard Operating Procedures. Blood processing techniques used include traditional centrifugation approaches to separating whole blood into serum/plasma/white blood cells as well as more sophisticated approaches (i.e. Ficoll processing) to separate blood into liquid and specific cellular fractions. Tissue processing techniques include snap-freezing tissue specimens and preparing/embedding specimens for frozen sectioning.
- Perform data entry into biospecimen inventory management system to track specimen processing, creation, storage, retrieval, and distribution for many different cancer and other medical research projects.
- Monitor general use and maintenance of equipment (e.g. centrifuge, freezers, etc.) and maintain thorough and detailed records of execution.
- Monitor and evaluate laboratory supplies to ensure consistent and adequate supply for laboratory activities, assisting with general supply orders.
- Participate in the On-Call program for monitoring storage equipment and environmental systems required for storage of biospecimens (non-business hours).
- Perform Quality Control and Quality Assurance functions for biorepository activities defined in the TPC Quality Management System. Activities include review, revision, and compliance with all laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and other controlled documents, incident reporting and investigation, implementation of Corrective and Preventative Action (CAPA), maintenance of training records, and compliance with all laboratory safety procedures.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification and a minimum of two years’ experience in a healthcare setting. Associate or bachelor’s degree may substitute for the experience requirement.
- Experience working with and maintaining standard laboratory equipment.
- Experience with standard fluid/tissue processing techniques and good eye hand coordination.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to maintain complete and organized records.
- Good time management skills, ability to multitask, trouble-shoot and perform tasks with appropriate guidance.
- Position requires ongoing interaction with faculty, trainees, and staff in the Siteman Cancer Center and Washington University School of Medicine. Candidate must possess an aptitude for patience, professionalism, tactfulness and empathy for needs of scientific investigators and be able to communicate and represent the Tissue Procurement Core and Siteman Cancer Center in a professional matter.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
JOB LOCATION/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Full time (40 hour per week), Monday through Friday and occasionally Saturday and Sunday for the On-call program.
- Work in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and extreme temperature (liquid nitrogen, dry ice) hazards.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (lab coat, gloves, eye protection).
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Clinical Lab Assistant II - Siteman Cancer Center - 50671
Job ID: 50671
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time