Washington University of St. Louis Solution Architect - Washington University IT - 50694 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
The individual will provide after-hours support as needed
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Information Technology. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
There will be some activities that require trips to other University offices and offsite locations.
This position is responsible for the implementation of flexible architectural standards which support business and technical needs. Provides expertise regarding the integration of applications within the line of business. Has experience using state-of-the-art programming languages and object-oriented approaches in designing, coding, testing and debugging programs. Maintains knowledge in emerging technologies and their application to the business. Responsible for work that is highly complex and varied in nature.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Articulate and demonstrate the value of the architecture and new solutions to organizational imperatives. Utilize understanding of the mission to develop an overarching technology strategy that supports the organizational needs by the cost effective delivery of IT solutions. Implement architecture standards in collaboration with lead architects.
- Deliver aligned and agreed to technical architecture strategies and roadmaps for the organization with an emphasis on reducing complexity and simplifying the environment. Ensure technology solutions are architected appropriately for availability, security, accessibility and scalability.
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization's business and line of business applications to provide strategic direction, guidance and integration of products and services. They will consult on a portfolio of products and with expertise on these products and their implementations. Collaborate with the academic, research, clinical, and administrative teams. Work closely with the business alignment leads to evaluate projects and initiatives.
- Standards & Oversight:
- Serve as accountable for architectures and designs that adhere to standards and can be effectively implemented, managed, and efficiently operated. Define and discern key aspects of a problem and develop an integrated solution within a broad context of significant impact.
- With technical architects, consult with assistant directors/directors regarding lifecycle management plans. Review emerging technologies and platforms for applicability to business requirements and imperatives. Act as an internal consultant, advocate and change agent.
- Adhere to departmental standards.
- Assist less experienced staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, such as computer science, information systems, engineering or a related field, plus four years of experience in one or many roles, such as architect, product engineer or product manager.
- Demonstrated progressive experience successfully designing IT business solutions for large-scale organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in transforming architecture of deployed applications without business disruption.
- Graduate degree in information management, management of information systems, computer science, engineering or a related field.
- Experience working in a higher education research university.
- Experience with large-scale application development and support models (Agile-Scrum).
- Experience with best of breed application portfolio and/or ERP.
- Experience with technology transformation and integrating large and small package products.
- Experience with .NET development, web services, SOA, and microarchitecture.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new circumstances.
- Excellent written, presentation, and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of enterprise and line-of business applications and application lifecycle.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues.
- Flexible and willing to work extended hours as necessary and recognize the need to do so.
- Ability to adjust scheduled time.
- Ability to adjust to abrupt changes in priorities and strategy.
- Strong diplomacy, negotiating, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to interact comfortably with all levels of management.
- Demonstrated skills in project management and analysis, negotiation, systems analysis, leadership, process improvement, strategic planning.
- Ability to recognize archetypes and design patterns within applications and business processes.
- Ability to work independently, accurately, and proactively.
- Proven ability to creatively solve problems and to influence outcomes through persuasion, effective communications and relationship building.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, including ability to adapt to a dynamic project environment and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build relationships, influence outcomes, and to deliver effective presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, such as conflict/issue resolution.
- Ability to organize and work effectively in a matrix organization with cross-functional project teams from various departments and locations.
- Ability to execute an IT application architecture strategy in support of business goals and objectives and anticipating future needs of the organization.
- Ability to execute on an architecture vison to minimize future maintenance challenges and anticipate future needs of the organization.
The hiring range for this position is $78,874 - $104,499 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Solution Architect - Washington University IT - 50694
Job ID: 50694
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time